Wednesday 6 March 2013

How are You, Dodoitsu?


This is such a great way to write.  Dodoitsu is a Japanese form of poetry from the mid 1800's (late Edo Period). Often humourous, dodoitsu usually deals with the subjects of love or work.  It has a syllable structure of 7, 7, 7, 5 and no rhyme scheme.

In writing this way for the first time, I rediscovered the joys of irony and double entendre.  It's interesting to integrate humour into poetry.  Sometimes I feel that poets can take themselves and their work a little seriously, me especially.

I.
Papers stack up everywhere
Echoing the office block
Where time stands completely still
Until lunch is called.

II.
The elevator sign reads
Maximum capacity
Is four hundred kilograms.
I only know pounds.

III.
Do you think your family
Will call us this holiday?
How do I call the phone place
To change our number?

Try to write a comment in dodoitsu, if you can. ;)
Follow me on twitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment